About Me

My photo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I am Katie Bryce and I study three dimensional design at Grays School of Art in Aberdeen, focussing on ceramics, glass and jewellery.

At the start of this year I spent 5 months studying in a wee town in Finland named Hämeenlinna. Now I am back in Aberdeen working towards my final year's degree show.

10.24.2011

Playing with concrete

Once upon a time I was told to draw my dreams...
The images of crumbling towers encouraged me to look at derelict buildings and old ruins. As a result I discovered an interest in re-inforced concrete, particularly when the metal is attacked by nature and begins to corrode, allowing the concrete to fall apart around it.
I experimented by mixing different cements and setting various things into it, including rusted steel rods and scraps of glass. My final design was a series of vases, each of them crumbling and twisting like the towers in my dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment